Acts 28:1-6 “shake it off or swell up”
Paul Ashore on Malta
28 Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. 2 The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.
3 Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand.
4 When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.”
5 But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects.
6 The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead; but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god.
Overcoming Negative Relationships :
(1) Learn to respond rather then react; a response is to who they are as a person with feelings, family, and friends in mind, reaction is when we are solely focused on what they may have done or we think they are doing.
(2) Use the conflicts to bring about long awaited changes in us; it may be that the Father is removing old attitudes and selfish motives from us and using a negative relationship to help bring that about, what may be happening is an old hurt has surfaced having nothing to do with the immediate person in this case expose it to His presence and ministry to be healed with truth.
(3) Forgive—This does not mean to pretend they have done no wrong the word means to turn loose or send away the offence not necessarily to trust them again either,
but it does mean to let them go meaning you counted the cost, you acknowledge the wrong, and you choose to release them through the grace given unto you through Christ.
(4) Recognize The Holy Spirit will allow some people in our lives only for a season, they were never meant to be a permanent part, pastors and spiritual leaders really need to understand this we can bless those who leave our church and ministry without resentment or thinking they missed God make it easy for people to leave if they desire to by blessing them in every possible way.
(5) The things you dislike in others may be the picture of your own soul that you haven’t yet come to terms with.
(6) Negative relationships can become positive ones when we grow, adjust, and make changes in how we treat others the person closest to us is often the most neglected make sure family is cared for.
(7) Avoid the blame game….This is a sign of immaturity; rise above accusations and a critical spirit this never helps anyone.
(8) Understand the freedom of being delivered from people, so that you may be sent to people in purity and love.
“We must have thick skin and a tender heart” “Be greater than their criticism and smaller than their praise”
Scott Stimson Sr.